Create and give away a report using select information from the book … at the end of the report let the reader know how they can get the full book. If this “teaser” report has value to the recipient, it is a natural next move for them to buy the book.
One idea is to give away the first chapter of your book. Or even the first two or three, depending on the length of the chapter and your book. People just can’t say no to free. This will give the reader a taste of the book and will entice them to want to read more. There are a few ways you can get your first chapter into the hands of your prospective readers:
- In your email signature, add a message asking your contacts to let you know if they would like to receive a copy of the first chapter of your book. For those who reply, send them a PDF copy of the first chapter and let them know where to buy the hardcopy if they like it and want to read more.
- Put an ad in your local newspaper with a short synopsis of your book, inviting potential readers to email you for a PDF copy of the first chapter for free. When you email the file to these contacts, let them know where to buy the hardcopy if they like it and want to read more.
- Similarly, put an ad on Craigslist in the free section with a short synopsis of your book, inviting potential readers to contact you for a free PDF copy of the first chapter. And when you send it to them, let them know where to buy the hardcopy if they like it and want to read more.
- First Chapter Plus publishes and distributes a monthly e-catalog, which includes the first chapters of print and digital books, and mp3 clips of audio books to over 35,000 opt-in subscribers. This listing will include the necessary details for where potential readers can find and purchase a copy of your book.
- If you have a blog, publish the first chapter of your book in a blog post or link to a PDF file where your readers can open the first chapter and read it. Be sure to let readers know where to buy the book once they’ve read the first chapter and want more.
Digital Marketing Genie can help you get your business off the ground with our Business in a Box.